Saturday 25 June 2011

be brave my friends

I dedicate today's post to all those people who seem to get their hearts broken quite a lot. I am definitely one of those people. But this year, I did something I am quite proud of, and something I believe which has been for me a step in the right direction.

Last year, I fell for someone. Someone who I've been friends with for like more than 10 years. He and I weren't really close, but we were good friends, and through the years I've always said that if I had to select any person to marry one day (provided I wasn't in love with someone else, of course) it would be him. He is a such a cool guy. A little quiet maybe, but that's not exactly a deal breaker and those who know me will be able to vouch for the fact that I talk enough for 10 people. But he is a darling, considerate, intelligent, funny, a good muslim (which is important for me), family oriented...the list is endless. But I am a firm believer in there having to be physical attraction between people for a marriage to be successful. I must admit, prior to Saturday 6 March 2010, I did not have this kind of attraction to this guy.
But that day, I greeted him, looked at him standing against the wall of a nursery in a hospital looking like he just got out of bed and felt my heart and stomach drop to my feet.

I tried to subtly let him know I was interested. Despite the fact that I have a big mouth, I'm very shy when it comes to dealing with men on that level. This went on for about 9 months or so and after I visited a friend of mine and told her about my predicament, she encouraged me to spell things out and let him know in idiot-proof terms that I was interested.

I did...and sadly, he did not feel the same way.

But, one thing I was really glad for was that I finally mustered up the courage to let a guy know that I was into him. Yes, it didn't turn out the way I would have liked, and I bled for a few months, but I'm more confident now and if there is someone that manages to capture my interest again, I won't hesitate to tell him that he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment