Saturday 12 March 2016

A-Z Blogger Challenge 2016 - Accountability

A few weeks ago, I had to leave work early to fetch my mother from the airport (she was coming home from a two-week trip overseas). My father was busy organising his life, as he was leaving for his trip a few days later, and my workplace is literally a ten minute drive from the airport.

In my haste to get to there on time, I bumped into a colleague’s car. I am not one to shirk responsibility, and so I called her out of her classroom to tell her.
I was barely driving, and all the damage my own car sustained was a paint scratch. Her fender, however, sustained a definite dent. Thankfully though, no other damage was done (by me, at any rate), and would be quick to fix. She, however, lost her shit completely (and while I understand her upset, I think the reaction was out of proportion to the offence).

I also offered to pay to fix what I damaged, even though she was illegally parked behind me (not in a parking bay).

I’ve tried to live my life by one fundamental rule, and that is to take responsibility for my actions. In this case though, it seems to be biting me in the ass, because this woman is dragging this process out and trying to extort me. It was an accident, and somehow she’s made me feel like I rammed into her car on purpose. I even contacted a mechanic to come out and assess the damage – who agreed to fix her car at a reasonable cost to me and at her convenience – and she responded by ignoring my messages, ignoring me at school and sending me obscene quotes for damages I was not responsible for.

I’ve been dealing with so many other difficult things, and her reaction just pushed my already high stress levels into unmanageable territory (this is probably why my hair is still falling out and why I can’t sleep).

This episode won’t make me break my rule though. There is a saying that says bad things happen to keep worse things away from you. I’ve been keeping that in mind, and in addition to living with a sense of accountability, I will also endeavour to be vigilant of those who will try to exploit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment