Saturday 26 March 2016

A-Z Blogger Challenge 2016 - Lies

Some may find this odd (or disturbing) but I do not trust a person who claims to be 100% truthful all the time (that is the biggest lie of all). We lie to deceive, we lie to impress, we lie to protect – ourselves and others. Some lies are harmless enough – when you tell a three-year old that their drawings are beautiful, your lie gives them confidence – and when, as in this case, the lie is used for unselfish reasons and harms no one, I can live with it. Most lies though, are dangerous, especially when they are borne from selfishness (as most lies are).
But the most dangerous…



The people we lie to the most are ourselves.
As humans, we all have opinions about each other, and it is a very human trait to want to be in control of what others think of us.

I read a post by a young author today, and he said something in particular reference to writers, but it is the paradox that applies to everyone: we all yearn to belong, and to be accepted, but we also want to stand out and be unique. And we end up lying to others and to ourselves to try and fulfil these needs.

But we are only in control of what we think of ourselves, of what resides between our ears and within our chests. And it may sound simple and easy, but the hardest thing a person can ever do, is to throw off the many layers of self-deception and stand, naked, in front of the proverbial mirror.



I’ve had to own up to a few lies I’ve told myself, about myself, about my life and the people in it. I’ve had to realise that these lies have had a very adverse effect on my personal growth and interpersonal relationships.
It takes more strength to show your vulnerability than to hide it. Loyalty is not a given with family. Being strong does not mean never asking for help. Friendships and relationships that are one-sided rarely cease to be so. I am never going to be skinny (I will always be curvy and soft, and that’s just another form of beauty).
Once I found the courage to admit certain truths, I opened myself up to a much better quality of life…I’ve weeded out the parasites in my life and transferred that energy into nurturing the people, thoughts and things that are good for me.

Don’t get me wrong – I still tell myself untruths (or rather, I still cannot admit certain truths to myself) – I am human, and very imperfect.
I am on a journey though, standing in front of the mirror, peeling back one layer at a time. And with each piece of self-deception I manage to discard, I continue to discover new depths to my potential.

1 comment: