Thursday 17 March 2016

A-Z Blogger Challenge 2016 - Comment

“Opinions are like arse-holes – everyone has one.”
This expression never fails to make me laugh, and confirms the adage that many truths are spoken in jest.

Two very good friends of mine are writers too, and there is one particular point on which I differ with them – and that is on the subject of comment. I am always glad when someone shows me how I may improve on my expression – the two of them, however, feel like the critic is launching a personal attack on their ideals (one of them guards her words like she guards her children).

The one thing that I miss about my writing class is the critiques my lecturer gave on our pieces (yes, I’m odd like that). I will never forget, one of my class mates was ready to strangle the lecturer after we received our first assignment back, and I was quite happy for her to tell me what I might do to improve my writing.

Whether their chosen genre is fiction or non-fiction, realistic or fantastic, every writer hopes for one thing: and that is to inspire a reaction in the reader.

When I started this blog, almost five years ago now, my intention was for it to be a way for me to share my innermost thoughts with the world, in the hopes that the experiences of my life might inspire someone, somewhere. My writing has expanded somewhat in the last few years, and the most significant change has been where I draw my inspiration from. Writers discover new things about themselves all the time, constantly evolving and growing with each new piece.

THANK YOU, for those who do take the time to comment honestly. Most of the time, it is a learning experience for me. I do not expect everyone to agree with my opinions, nor do I expect everyone to like my writing style or topics. But, a criticism or disagreement is still a comment. A comment is a reaction, even if it is a bad one. And sometimes lessons are best learnt from our failures or mistakes or differences of opinion, than from our triumphs – this is how we grow.

So, it really disheartens me when no one comments on what I write. My best friend always tells me that comments are not always a good thing, or necessary – but to me it is. We are all students of life, and the people we meet, and inspire, and who inspire us – they contribute to our life-long learning. For me personally, comments from my readers contribute greatly to my growth as a writer – positive comments give me confidence, negative comments keep me grounded, and different opinions educate me.

I will admit, I am disappointed at not having been able to inspire many reactions thus far. But, I will keep at it, and explore other areas outside of my writing comfort zone, until I do.

2 comments:

  1. My dear....no comments does not mean you have not inspired. A lot of people embody a message without saying a word. I love your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear it C. But you know, I get inspired by what people say too...by dialogue. I don't want comments on my writing style per se, but rather on the content of the pieces. The only thing I miss more than Jean's comments on my work, is the conversations we had as a class. We were such a diverse group...

    ReplyDelete