Wednesday 15 April 2015

F is for Friendship

I don’t have many friends, true friends, and I am quite okay with it.

Friendship is, in my opinion, the most difficult relationship to successfully maintain – as with all kinds of relationships, there is always the risk of an imbalance, and you don’t have a contract binding you, like a marriage, but there is a level of emotional intimacy; you are privy to another’s best and worst, and there’s really nothing to stop you from saying ‘screw this shit’ and walking away when there is difficulty or conflict.

Being someone’s friend, in the truest essence of the word, takes a lot of effort, and the challenge for us all is to find that person or persons who are worth the effort and who think that you are worth the effort.

I read a beautiful quote on Twitter the other day, which says: “Friendship isn’t about who you’ve known the longest. It’s about who walked into your life, said ‘I’m here for you’ and proved it.” It resonated with me because it is something that I have experienced most acutely over the last few years.

I have drifted so far from some of my oldest friends…but I have been caught by a person, who has been there for me (and continues to be) through some of my darkest hours. And if my lot in life is to only be able to call this one person my friend, I would be more than contented and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment