Wednesday 8 April 2015

A – Aunt


Inspired by my Twuddie, @HiddlestonedZelda, I have decided to try the A-Z Blogger's Challenge for the month of April. I've been in a bit of a funk as regards my writing, so thank you Z, for this - hopefully it will help to unblock.

I have 21 nieces and nephews. Yep, you read that correctly. Twenty one. Three times seven. Yes, they are the children of my brothers and sisters (not cousins). And yes, I know all of their names, birthdays and ages.
I became an aunt for the first time one month before my fifth birthday. Even though I was so little, I still have memories of my sister’s pregnancy. The next came two years later, and the rest of them came almost every year after that. Our family’s eldest grandchild is 27 years old, and a doctor, and our youngest is 5, just starting school.

I have a different relationship with each of them. Some are like younger siblings, because of the close proximity of our ages or because of my youthful personality (the teens come to mind here). The little ones regard me in a parental light.

One of my nieces was my guinea pig – I learnt how to look after babies and children with her, and even though I am only fifteen years older than her, she calls me her other mom. She is the only one whom I’ve had a very active hand in raising, and even though she is 17 now, I still regard her as my baby. A title she now has to share with our youngest, who, along with his sister, stayed with us two years ago while their parents were on pilgrimage. He was 3 years old at the time, and it was the first time ever that he was away from his parents, so naturally, it was going to be a struggle. And we had to come up with creative ideas to get him in a compliant frame of mind – as a result, I had to memorise the Pitch Perfect soundtrack so I could sing it to him at bath time and read Cat in the Hat every night for 6 weeks. All the things I learnt with the 17 year old came in handy with the 3 year old.

In some way, shape or form, I have been a parent to 21, and I am happy for the roles I have played and get to play in their lives (baker, tutor, potty-trainer, financial adviser, career counsellor, hairdresser, stylist, chef, nurse…the list is endless).

I have yet to experience motherhood for myself. But if it so happens that I leave this world without experiencing it, I won’t be too disappointed.


And I am extremely excited, because soon I’ll be able to be all of this for number 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment