Sunday 3 May 2015

Y is for YOLO

“We all have two lives. The second begins when you realise you only have one.”
~ Tom Hiddleston

This may be the first time where I will disagree slightly with Mr Hiddleston.
We have one mortal existence, for sure. Unfortunately, there are people who take this to mean that they can just do whatever the hell they want, regardless of the consequences and of the people it affects. I am in complete agreement with the first part of his statement.
However, I do believe in an actual second life – the eternal life after death.

This belief is a very important article of my faith, yes. I was born into my religion, but there comes a time, I think, in everyone’s life where they have to decide on it for themselves. The words of one of my lecturers still resonate with me today – you have to decide whether you want to follow your faith completely.

I’ve been very fortunate to have been able to pursue religious studies for a few years. It didn’t add to my professional qualifications but it gave me clarity and conviction in my religion, and particularly, in the existence of a Hereafter.
We cannot be here, go through all our trials and tribulations simply for the hell of it. Logically, there must be a purpose to our lives. And with this conviction came a consciousness with regards to how I conducted my life. As a child I was taught how to pray, how to fast, how to dress, how to live, but I was never taught why. And for three years, I learnt why.


We do have two lives, but we only have one shot at this life on earth. And I choose to try to live my mortal life in preparation for the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment