Wednesday 27 May 2015

Conquering Everest

On Saturday afternoon past, I came home, showered and prayed, and got into my car and drove (by myself for the first time) to meet my best friend for dessert. The following Monday morning, I drove to work, to therapy after work and then home again (again, by myself).

I sat behind the wheel on both of those occasions and marveled at the fact that I was legally driving myself around. Now, you might read this and think, "Uh, it's driving man. Almost everyone can drive." And you would be right - it is a skill more than 50% of the world's population possesses and not something to really make a song and dance about.

But for me it represents a....it represents new-found courage and gumption. I was one of few in the world who avoided learning to drive for almost fourteen years, and who managed to learn to drive and get a valid driver's licence in just over a year.

Sitting in my car on Monday, I felt like I conquered a personal Everest. I tried something new and succeeded, despite fear of failure and just fear period, and for the first time ever, I felt as though I really could do anything I set my mind to. This is something we often preach to children, but this is the first time ever I can honestly say that I feel this way, and that I believe that I can accomplish so much more than I thought.

Driving today. Who knows what I'll conquer tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. Very happy to this. Well done my friend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ever so much! And thank you for reading (and commenting) - it means more than you'll ever know

    ReplyDelete