Tuesday 7 May 2013

Rejection


re·ject

  [v. ri-jektn. ree-jekt]
verb (used with object)
1.
to refuse to have, take, recognize, etc.: to reject the offer of a better job.
2.
to refuse to grant (a request, demand, etc.).
3.
to refuse to accept (someone or something); rebuff: The other children rejected him. The publisherrejected the author's latest novel.
4.
to discard as useless or unsatisfactory: The mind rejects painful memories.
5.
to cast out or eject; vomit.

Rejection is one of the most painful things a person can experience.
I have had many rejections and while I do not consider myself an expert on this matter, I do have a lot of experience with it.

Rejection can be divided into two main categories.

1. Direct/Open rejection. You are directly informed that someone has refused to grant you something, recognize or accept something. Most commonly experienced when applying for jobs, to schools, when you're a teenager and it comes to friends, etc. Stings like hell, when it happens. But, surprisingly, one tends to recover quickly from this kind of letdown.

2. Apathy/Aloofness/Indifference. Most commonly experienced with matters of the heart. In my humble opinion, this kind of rejection is the worst, as it takes an unnecessarily long time to recover from. Sometimes, you just don't recover from it.

I wish that people would learn to be direct. Directness is considered one of my many flaws, but I consider it to be one of my better qualities. I am learning the art of tact, but I still am honest with the people around me.
It is better to let someone know where they stand, rather than to let them wonder...

1 comment:

  1. I agree. And I'm glad you posted this. People think if they say no your whole world will fall apart, when really, if they are honest, it makes moving on so much damn easier

    ReplyDelete