Sunday 14 August 2011

Ramadaan


We’re halfway through Ramadaan.
When you first start fasting as a child, the only thing that you really feel is the fact that you cannot eat or drink from sunrise to sunset for 29 or 30 consecutive days.
As you grow older, other things regarding this month become more evident. You are required to check your mood and temper more, the amount of time that you save not eating and drinking (it’s amazing how much time we spend on that!) should be used to increase your acts of worship – more prayer, more recitation of the Qur’an, more remembrance of God.

I have to say, my appreciation and understanding of what this month really should be for a Muslim has only come to me in recent years. And even though I have a better understanding of what is required of me, I will admit that there are times where it can be a struggle. But I suppose that all true sacrifices should be a struggle.

This year, someone pointed out to me that Ramadaan is also a month that strips you of your pretentions, and that the realities of one’s life become much clearer.
I have discovered that to be very true. There are things in my life that I knew were there, but refused to accept, and I have been forced to acknowledge and accept that these things exist and that my life is not exactly what I want it to be.

My dilemma right now is this: how do tell the difference between what I can change and what I have to accept?

No comments:

Post a Comment