Saturday 25 October 2014

The best version

At the age of thirty, I hit a brick wall – which had nothing to do with age (I am inordinately grateful for every year I am granted to spend in this life).
The brick wall was the culmination of years of bad habits from those who should know better, which ended in a catastrophe. A catastrophe that exposed many things for all who were involved.
The thing that was exposed for me: gross self-neglect.


The wonderful thing about hitting rock bottom is that there’s only two paths you can take – you can stay there, or you can go up. The choice is up to you as an individual.
I needed to choose to look after myself.
Not many people are aware of my struggles the last two years. However, everyone can see the changes, and frequently comment on it, whether it is related to my speech or actions, and more particularly, my appearance. I’ve lost some weight and acquired some grooming habits. I have discovered new passions, acquired some new skills, and now, I am happy with the person who gets up every morning, and cope better with the challenges I have to face.
I made a few small changes to my life and it translated into quite a transformation.
My colleagues are always asking me the reason for my transformation, and I’ve tried to answer them as truthfully as possible but have never felt like I’ve answered them properly. Jennifer Elisabeth has said it the best:
“I want to be the best version of myself for anyone who is going to someday walk into my life and need someone to love them beyond reason.”

No comments:

Post a Comment