Saturday 18 October 2014

Thankful for my infinite blessings


The school I work for services a very large portion of children who come from very impoverished areas, and so we are fortunate enough to be part of two initiatives: the Peninsula School Feeding Scheme and the Kellogg's Breakfast program. Both of these organisations send food and cereal on a weekly and monthly basis, so that we can ensure that our children don't have to learn with a hungry tummy.
Two days ago we celebrated World Food Day. The people at the Kellogg's BP brought Cindy Nel, a former Miss South Africa and model, to come and assist our kitchen ladies in serving breakfast to our kids.
There were photographers and journalists and the morning was quite festive, and the looks on the faces of the children made me think about my life.

It is so ingrained in us to complain and to find fault with anything and everything around us.
I have never gone to bed hungry. I have always had a roof over my head and have slept in a bed my whole life. My parents gave me a proper education-I didn't have to work for it myself. I am healthy, and able to work and contribute to my community.

Canada and the US celebrate Thanksgiving in October and November respectively, and although I am not an American or Canadian, I think it is a very good idea to reflect on all the good in one's life and to give thanks to the Almighty for it. This week, Thursday past in particular made me realize that I have nothing to complain about and I have so much to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment