Wednesday 5 June 2013

My favourite places in Cape Town

A tourist will rarely (if ever) have bad things to say about Cape Town. We have beautiful beaches and botanical gardens, friendly people, shopping malls, the wonder that is Table Mountain, amusement parks...the list is quite extensive. The balance of natural and man-made attractions is what makes Cape Town great. However, when you're a resident, less famous places tend to become your favourites. These are some of mine...


Gordon's Bay Beach Front: besides the clean, warm smell of the ocean, there are two things in particular that I absolutely love - the Uncle Barry's ice-cream parlour and a book shop called 'Pop-In"...quite an ironic name because once you walk into the shop, there are books everywhere! Under the tables, on top of the tables, piled against the wall or on shelves. You actually have to spend a whole day in it to be able to browse through even half of the books. 
Pop-in Bookshop at Gordon's Bay Beach front
Cape Town Company Gardens: situated on the corner of Adderly and Wale Street, this has become a recent favourite of mine. A friend had her wedding pictures taken here and we had to tag along. While the wedding party was busy, myself and another friend bought something cool to drink and took a leisurely stroll around the Gardens. What a serene place - from the floral scents, kids playing and feeding the squirrels to other wedding parties taking their pictures against the  beautiful green canvas of the Gardens. My only regret is that I don't get a chance to sit there often enough.
Company Gardens - Cape Town
Strand Beach: This town has sentimental value to me as it is the place I was born. Whenever I need to be alone or calm down, I take a walk along this beach until I cannot walk anymore and find a spot on the sand to inhale the salty scent and listen to the waves.
Strand Beach
St. George's Mall: This is part of my morning journey to work. What is actually is-a brick paved road with shops, banks, offices, etc. on either side and informal traders dotted down the centre. It stretches from Wale Street to Strand Street and is only covered in spring and summer - by a leafy bottle green canopy. Outside are park benches and seating from the various eateries and coffee shops, and despite all the foot traffic, it is actually a peaceful place to enjoy a drink, meal or smoke.

St. George's Mall

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word! I so enjoyed this post! makes me want to visit the Gardens and that book shop - so bad!

    ReplyDelete