Tuesday 30 June 2015

Photo Blog Challenge: Day 2 - Solidarity

I am very bad at keeping up with current events. I have no interest in politics, and my home life is so busy, my family takes up a lot of my head space.
A few days ago though, I came across the following article online: http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Extremists-threaten-to-burn-Talmud-rip-apart-Israeli-flag-at-London-march-in-Jewish-neighborhood-406435

In it, the spearhead of this initiative said that this "would mark solidarity with those being oppressed by the illegal state of Israel". I read up some more on this fellow, and the more I read, the more I wanted to scream this statement at him.

If by some chance, he or one of his followers read this, I'd like to say this:

Solidarity means unity or agreement of feeling or action, especially among individuals with a common interest; mutual support within a group. 

I do not support Israel at all. I feel that they are at present the prime human rights abusers, and that the world is letting them get away with serious criminal activity. What do I do to show solidarity? Support organisations who provide aid to those oppressed. Boycott organisations who provide aid to the oppressors.

I am NOT going to paint every other Jew in the world with the same brush. I am NOT going to petition to have them thrown out of their residential areas NOR burn their religious texts.
This is NOT a form of solidarity. All it will do is show that I am as intolerant as they are.

A lesson we can all take from this: do not mask your own agenda behind the (serious) plight of others. God does not sleep and karma is a real thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment